Sova – Valorant Champion Guide
Hey amigo! I’m yaotziN. and I hope that this guide about how to play Sova will be helpful!
“Wherever they run, I will find them.” Sova is one of the Initiator Champions of Valorant. He is able to set his team up to enter contested grounds and push defenders away. His scouting abilities are insanely helpful. Sova tracks, finds and eliminates enemies with ruthless efficiency and precision. His custom bow and incredible scouting abilities ensure that even if you run, you cannot hide.
Owl Drone (C – 300 credits)
Owl Drone is a basic ability that you can buy in the shop at the beginning of every single round. By clicking “c” you can deploy a pilotable drone that can fire a dart. This dart will temporality reveal the location of the enemy champion struck by it.
On the left side of the Owl Drone POV you can see the HP bar of the drone. On the right side, you can find information about the cooldown of the dart. Finally, below there is a timer bar which shows you how long you can still use the Sova’s Owl Drone.
HOW TO PLAY SOVA – TIPS FOR OWL DRONE
- You can use Owl Drone a maximum of 10 seconds, so don’t use it if you are sure that there are no enemies near you.
- On the Bind Map, you can make your Owl Drone go through the portals. Thanks to it you can scout a huge part of the map very quickly.
- It’s a decent strategy for one of your teammates to position himself behind your drone. Opponents might focus mainly on the Owl Drone instead of your teammate so because of that you should get an easy frag.
Click here to learn more about how to play Sova and other Champions with [Valorant Coach]
Shock Bolt (Q – 100 credits)
Shock Bolt is the second Sova basic ability that you can buy at the beginning of each round. You can carry two of them per round! By pressing “q” you can equip a bow with an explosive Shock Bolt. Hold Fire to extend the range of the projectile. By clicking Alternate Fire you can add up to two bounces to this arrow.
The damage range of the Shock Bolt is 14-90 so you can actually kill an enemy with two Sova’s Shock Bolts! The closer to the player the arrow will explode, the bigger damage he will receive. But be careful with that, because you can also damage your teammates!
HOW TO PLAY SOVA – TIPS FOR SHOCK BOLT
- Using Shock Bolt is a great way to deal damage to your enemies at the beginning of the round. All you have to do is work on some lineups and fire the arrow at the spot that is most likely occupied by your opponents in the first seconds of the round.
- This Sova’s ability is especially helpful when you don’t want to let enemy Champion defuse the Spike. All you have to do is hide in a safe position, click Alternate Fire once or twice (depends on the lineup) and bounce the Shock Bolt off the wall, directly to the place where you plant the Spike. Enemies might not expect that!
Click here to learn more about [How to climb rank in Valorant]
Recon Bolt (Q – free)
Recon Bolt is a signature ability of our Champion which means you will be able to use it for free since the beginning. You can equip it by pressing “e”. Fire to send the bolt forward. The bolt activates upon collision and revealing the coalition of nearby enemies caught in the line of sight of the bolt. Same as with Shock Bolt, you can hold Fire to extend the range of the projectile. Then, by clicking Alternate Fire you can add up to two bounces to it.
The cooldown of Recon Bolt is 35 seconds. Once it passes, you will be able to use it again. It means that you can throw 3 Sova’s Recon Bolts per round! has the potential to provide your team a lot of information. Make sure that you are using them in the best way you can!
Fully charged Recon Bolt can be shot from a very long distance. It means that you can provide your team information about the enemy team location on the whole map, from wherever you are. The key to do it is to remember a huge amount of lineups. Requirement of that knowledge is the main reason behind Sova’s difficulty. It’s one of the hardest champions to master in the entirety of Valorant.
Click here to learn more useful Sova’S Recon Bolt lineups with [Valorant Coach]
HOW TO PLAY SOVA – TIPS FOR RECON BOLT
- Shoot first Recon Bolt at the beginning of each round to get early information about enemy Agents positioning.
- Opponents can easily see and hear from where the arrow is coming, so don’t use it if you think that someone is very close. Doing so, you will most likely expose your position.
Hunter’s Fury (X – seven ultimate orbs)
Hunter’s Fury is the Ultimate Ability for Sova. You can press “x” to fire up to three deadly energy blasts that spear across the entire map. Each hit deals heavy damage, revealing enemy position.
Hunter’s Fury can deal damage through every single wall in Valorant. While using it, you can help yourself with the minimap to make sure you aim it at the right direction.
After using Sova’s Ultimate you will have 8 seconds to shoot all 3 deadly energy blasts. You can always turn off Hunter’s Fury before it’s time is up by pressing “x” again. It might save your life when your enemies close the distance.
HOW TO PLAY SOVA – TIPS FOR HUNTER’S FURY
- Sova’s ultimate ability is perfect to kill an enemy Champion who is defusing/planting the Spike.
- Hunter’s Fury goes through walls (check the minimap for directions!), but you still have to make sure the height of the shot is correct. Try to remember which parts of the map are elevated and which parts are not before firing.
- Enemy Agents will also see where you are aiming at, so they will try to dodge all your shots. You need to know the map well to be able to predict where they can run away from your shots!
- You will be partially immobilized while using Hunter’s Fury, so be sure that your Champion is in a safe position before committing to it.
SOVA TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Using Owl Done to mark an enemy Champion before using your Ultimate is a very effective combo! The first shot from the Hunter’s Fury is the most important – you have to hit the target!
- Sova is a very strong and useful Champion for competitive games. But to fully use his potential you really need to spend a lot of time in the custom games to learn all the Recon Bolt and Shock Bolt lineups. After you will master them, competitive games will pose no challenge.
- You can use Sova abilities to fake which bombsite your team wants to attack. E.g. Firing Recon Bolt at the beginning of the round followed by Owl Drone and two Shock Bolts used on A site, followed by a rotation to B site might confuse the enemy team a lot. Mind games!
- Playing Sova, you can provide a lot of information to your team. Be careful though – while looking for picks and reveals, constantly shift your position to avoid being picked yourself.
- Remember that Champion abilities are not a primary weapon in Valorant! They’re just an additional toolkit.
Sova is one of the strongest and the most balanced Agents in Valorant – check out our new article about [Valorant Meta and Best Characters]. Knowing how to play Sova will allow you to play effectively in both attack and defense. Sova can provide his team information without the need of taking a peek. That is why he has a place in almost every single competitive team. While it might seem incredibly hard to master Sova, it pays off to spend a lot of hours trying to achieve it. Remember that one of our [Valorant Coaches] might help you with that!