How to play Mid Lane
Mid Lane has always been considered the most popular role in League of Legends. Due to its position on the map, it is mainly distinguished by a high impact on side lanes, 1vs1 fights and the very status of being AP “Carry”. In this article, along with our Coach, we present 10 tips and tricks to help you understand this lane and, as a result, climb the soloQ ranking.
1 – Pick the right Mid Laner
Choosing the champion of the role of MID in the current meta has a particularly large impact on the game.
Why actually MID? – Because this role is in the middle of the map and when mid laner wins, the whole team also gains, because it transfers the advantage to the river and other lines.
Current League of Legends is a very fast game, and the games usually end in 25-30 minutes!
This makes it clear that especially in soloQ where so many aggressive champions appear in Early / Mid game (for example Zed, LeBlanc) are much better than those who need a lot of time to scale (for example Kassadin).
2 – Pick correct Summoner Spells
Choosing the correct summoner spells is a total basis, but still so many people have a problem with that.
The basic question in this matter – “What does my champion do?” and “Who am I playing against?”
- I choose Ignite because I play an aggressive champion like Ahri and want to increase my kill potential
- I choose Teleport on Ekko because it will help me to survive the hard beginnings on the line
- I choose Barrier / Heal on Lux because I have a huge range and I will not be close to my opponent to use ignite. Defensive spells will surely be more useful to me
- I choose Teleport on Lissandra because my strength is to flank
- I choose Cleans on Syndra because I play against Lissandra and Elise in the jungle.
Remember also that the choice of summoner spells should depend on the mainly on your playstyle and plan for the game!
3 – Trades on the Mid Lane
Trades are one of the basic things thanks to which we are able to win our lane. Thanks to them, we increase our kill potential or simply force the enemy to go back to the base.
As you probably already know, a good trade on the lane is a trade in which you will deal more damage to the enemy.
But on what does our trade really depend?
- Current level – (use the advantage of your level, which gives you additional statistics such as 70HP and second skill on 2lvl)
- Available skills – (play around opponents cooldowns, if he used skills for the minions or did not hit you it is a good moment for the trade because you have more skills)
- Auto attacks – (especially in the early game they are incredibly strong, remember to use them in combat, regardless of the character)
- Range – (use the advantage of range in terms of skills and auto attacks)
- Fight in minions (the tide of minions is really strong, watch if the opponent does not fight in your minions or if you yourself have not become their victim)
4 – Early Ward on raptors
The early ward on raptors is currently the only right and useful ward. It will show us exactly when the enemy jungler travels to the other side of the jungle, thanks to which we know which site is safe – we’re going to play there now!
In the current game jungler in the first place wants to hit 3lvl, and only then looks around for a potential gank or crab.
This is due to the fact that the scuttle crab does not respond in 2 minutes but 3:15. Thus, the 1:15 ward of the river does not make any sense any more.
5 – Vision at the Mid Lane
A little talk about a standard mid vision could not be missing here. If we want to win our lane, we must first ensure that we do not become a victim of the jungler’s enemy.
The basic mistake is putting wards on two sides of the lane. It is logical that if the jungler does not show up on your wards on the right side, then you should be afraid of it from the left.
Above, we present you the correct location of the vision around your lane.
6 – Positioning on the MID Lane
It is known not from today that mid lane, by its location on the map, is definitely the most exposed to ganks. That’s why your position should be impeccable!
Perfect vision is not everything, the second equally important aspect is standing around them.
Since you created a vision on the left side of your lane, why are you running to the right during the fight? After all, it is almost certain that the enemy jungler lurks on the other side!
Remember to play on the side with wards or on the side on which your team or jungler is!
7 – Priority on the mid lane
The priority is nothing but pushing your lane so that in the situation of fighting on the river or in the jungle of the enemy appear there in front of the enemy mid-laner.
The priority for mid is currently one of the most important things that determines the advantage of the entire map.
The most important thing here is the observation of the minimap which gives us information about where our team or jungler will potentially need us.
The advantages of the priority on mid lane:
- Crab control (very important for our jungler)
- Drakes control
- Control of the enemy’s jungle
- Possibility to set a deep vision in the opponent’s jungle
- An advantage in fights on and off the river
- Roaming on side lines
Remember, however, that when pushing mid, do not forget about wards and enemy jungler!
8 – Roaming as a mid laner
Roaming at Summoners Rift is very well known to everyone. Due to the fact that in soloQ people are terribly inattentive, it is quite effective.
The main question – How and when to effectively roam?
The basic factor is to surprise! In the first place, you have to use your lane to disappear from the map against the opposite mid laner. At this point, he cannot see what’s happening to you – It’s roaming time!
Detailed tips for roaming:
- Remember that after pushing the lane you do not have much time, try to roam and get back on the lane sooner so that you do not lose a lot of farm and plaits
- Before you go down, look for lanes to know which is potentially easier to kill
- While roaming, observe the behavior of the players on the lane you are ganking
- If you see that the enemy started playing very defensively, do not waste time, just return to the lane
- During roaming, be careful that you do not pass the pink ward
- If you feel stronger than the opposite mid laner, pretend that you are roaming and prepare a trap in one of the bushes
9 – Role in the team
When choosing a champion, think about what it is created for, what strengths it has and what will be its role in the team.
After winning the lane with champions such as Zed or Fizz (with a strong 1v1) it will be much easier for us to go to the side lane, create pressure and continue killing 1v1 rather than fight team fights 5v5 in which everything can happen.
Example roles of champions in the team:
- AP champions of the Orianna type – Outpushing mid-lane and team fighting (no possibility to follow the side lanes due to the lack of escape)
- Assassins of the Zed type – searching for 1v1 fights and split push (a great escape if the enemy team will try to catch you)
- Champions with teleport like Lissandra, Kassadin – split push (pressure on the side lane connected with the possibility of using TP for a team fight)
10 – Learn from the best
Knowledge is the key to success. To improve gameplay as MID Laner you have to improve your knowledge!
It’s the most important thing in League of Legends. You can master mechanics of the champion in one weekend but without the knowledge of what to do after the laning phase, how to win the games fast, how to play while you’re behind etc. you’re not going to reach higher divisions.
Read the guides, watch videos and streams or start doing things you wouldn’t normally do like one-on-one Coaching with a professional Coach.
“To have a special effects, you have to do special things”