How to play TFT
In today’s article, together with our TFT Coach we will present you the basics of Teamfight Tactics. From the guide you will learn, most of all, how to improve your champions and how the game looks like. If you are someone who starts your adventure with TFT, this is a guide just for you, it will introduce you to the secrets of the game and help you to become a better player.
1 – WHAT IS TEAMFIGHT TACTICS?
Teamfight Tactics is an Auto Battler game in which we as players have no direct influence on the course of the fight. The only thing we can do is improve the champions and accordingly plan and build synergies between them.
What Teamfight Tactics looks like:
- It’s automatic chess in which we do not control our champions during the fight.
- We can improve our champions, give them items away and build synergy between them.
- TFT is a strategic game, mechanical skills are not needed here.
- The fights take place between each player, after losing some health points are lost.
2 – GOAL OF THE GAME
In the game, we fight against 7 other players, and our goal is to stay alive as the last one. Each player starts the game with 100 HP, and everyone fights with everyone. When your health drops to zero you are out of the game.
Your main task during the game will be to build strong champions that will have synergy. Equipping them with the right items is also an important thing to be able to fight enemies.
Remember that during the upcoming ranked season, every place in the top four will give you points and allow you to earn higher divisions!
3 – THE COURSE OF THE GAME IN TFT
The game consists of rounds, and in each of them we face the opponent. In addition to fighting players you will also take part in battles with monsters (PvE) and common carousels, which you will learn about more later in this article.
The course of the game in Teamfight Tactics:
- The game begins with a common carousel, where we choose the first champion along with the item (it is worth choosing a champion costing 2 gold to sell it later and gain additional income).
- The next three rounds are fighting monsters (PvE), in which we can get items.
- Then we start the fight with the players (PvP), and after three fights we take part in the carousel again (the next carousels will be every six rounds).
- After two rounds we will fight with the computer to be able to get more items (subsequent fights will take place every 6 rounds).
- Then everything comes round and we fight with the players (PvP) again.
4 – CAROUSELS
Carousels are based on all players gathering on one board and geting the opportunity to select new champions for free. The ones who have lost the most amount of health points so far pick first.
This is our one of the few chances to get items, so it’s worth to put a priority on the champion with a good item (in the case of champion with the same items, choose the one that is worth more gold).
While in most cases it is better to focus on the item, sometimes (if we lack a specific champion) it is worth choosing and paying attention to the item.
5 – CHAMPIONS in Teamfight Tactics
This is the main weapon in our game. They fight on the board, and their proper selection and improvement is the key to victory.
Champion’s activity in Teamfight Tactics:
- Champions are divided into circles (the first circle means that the champion costs one piece of gold, and the fifth – five pieces).
- Champions from the fifth circle are available only at a later stage of the game.
- We buy champions in a store that refreshes itself automatically every round.
- The store can be refreshed by us for 2 gold pieces.
Sometimes a higher tier of champion does not mean it will be more useful in your composition. Improving the champion of the first circle is more profitable than purchasing a single one from the second circle.
How to level up the champions:
- Each champion starts the game on the first level, and the maximum level that can reach is level three.
- To improve the first level champion, we need three of the same champions on the first level who will merge into a stronger version.
- To improve the second level champion, we need three of the same champions on the second level.
- In total, we need nine of the same champions to create a champion on the third level.
Familiarize yourself with current tier lists to know which champions are worth buying.
6 – TFT SYNERGIES
Synergies in Teamfight Tactics are the most important thing that will make your composition be able to defeat the enemy team. Bonuses have a huge impact on the fight, and their appropriate combination will make you win the desired victory.
How to build synergies:
- Most synergies need two or more champions on the board to make the bonus active.
- Bonuses become stronger when more champions with the same synergy appear on the board (for example, the Glacial bonus changes at two, four and six champions).
- When you manage to upgrade the champion to a higher level, look for the next one in the store who have the same synergy.
- The best players build a team in such a way as to have several bonuses active at the same time.
Check out our current list of the strongest compositions and synergies in Teamfight Tactics to win even more games.
7 – TFT ITEMS
Allocating the strongest champions to the strongest items will make your composition significantly stronger. Two smaller items create one with enhanced effect.
What you should know about items:
- Items are obtained from carousels (where each champion has an item) and from fighting monsters (PvE).
- Creating two items per champion will make them combine into one with better effect.
- The right choice of items will give you a huge advantage over the enemy.
- Selling the champion with items will make them return to our inventory.
8 – PLAYER LEVEL
A higher level of the player simply allows you to place more champions on the board. For example, with the fifth level, we can issue five champions.
What is worth knowing about the player level:
- Every round we get 2 experience points.
- We can buy 4 experience points for 4 gold pieces.
- The higher the level, the more experience is needed to drive another one.
- The higher the level, the more champions we can place on the board.
- The higher the level, the greater the chance of the appearance of better champions in the store.
It’s good to know that early purchase of experience points is usually not viable. It is better to save gold until fighting with wolves, so that later, thanks to the interest, you can have enough gold to invest in the champions and possible level of the player.
9 – GOLD AND ECONOMY
We need gold in the game to purchase champions, experience points and to refresh the store. Bad management of our economy will quickly get rid of gold and we will lose the game.
How to earn gold?
- Every round, everybody gets a certain amount of gold.
- The series of failures or victories provide us with additional gold income.
- Possession of gold at the level above 10 pieces will give us one additional piece of gold per round, and above 20 will give us two gold pieces. Up to a level of 50 gold, where every round we get an additional 5 pieces.
- Selling the champion will give us back as much gold as the champion cost.
10 – TEAM POSITION
If you’ve played League of Legends before, you know how important it is to set your team up properly. The situation is similar in Teamfight Tactics. Your champions that deal damage should be behind the frontline, which will take on the enemy’s damage.
The exact setting of your composition will depend on your enemies. Along with experience, you’ll be able to determine where to place your champions to protect them from, for example, assassins or Blitzcrank.
For those who want to learn the game in practice, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with our TFT Coaching offer— a one-on-one lessons under the supervision of a Professional Coach.